Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default making a hollow tailstock

Geoff,
Boring & confusing without a pic, but I'll try to explain. Ask privately
if you wish.

I turned a MT2 for the hollow tail ram of my N3k and drilled a hole to
feed a 3/8" lamp bit through, only to find that I didn't have the
strength to push the long bit into the lamp blank held in the head
spindle.

To use the mechanical advantage of winding the tail stock ram instead of
pushing the bit, I cobbled a 'split collet' to hold the bit and fit
into my Nova chuck. Then I put the lamp blank between tail center and
bit and fed the blank into the spinning bit in increments of the tail
ram's travel.

A little tedious, but winding the tail ram was easy on my arms &
shoulders. As usual, I did things the wrong way, but it worked for me.
Hope thiis helps or at least, doesn't hurt.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter