Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Planes

"brianlanning" wrote in message
ups.com...
I think at this point, the thing to do would be maybe to pick up a
combination plane somewhere with all the extra cutters. That would
suffice for the mouldings I think. Then a plough and dado plane in
addition to all the "normal" planes. I guess I need to start
garage-saling looking for some old planes.

Molding planes were a specialty item even when they were the only option.
Accounts for their relative rarity, and their relatively good condition when
found. They were a cabinetmaker's necessity, and a significant expense.
The rest of the world just chamfered or rounded things over.

Oh yes, they also worked lousy in wood with any but the straightest grain,
which was much more commonly available then.

By a dust mask and go mechanical.