Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie

Default old ballast burns starters?

In article , wrote:

(Except... the fixture is not grounded, and never was. It does take
several tries to start. I saw that the FAQ says that the extra
capacitance from grounding is helpful on starting.) Thanks.

ERB-

The problem with lack of ground applies to newer "self starting" lights
that do not use conventional starters. The starterless lights may work
when you first install them, but they won't start reliably after they've
been used a short while with ungrounded wiring.

I've used the older types with starters for many years in an old house
without grounded wiring. I've found that they continue to start and work
up to the point where their ends are quite black. The starter may need to
be changed every few years. If yours burned out starters frequently, you
most likely corrected the problem by changing all the components!

Fred