Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Default Ping Mac Davis ! Shopsmith arbor diameterG.

"William B Noble (don't reply to this address)" wrote:

Ah ha! kind of as I suspected. something is fishy in Shopsmith land.
A 5/8 drill should drill about a thousandth oversize, so drilling a
5/8 hole should lead to a good fit on a 5/8 spindle - but in Lyndell's
case it didn't - so we are "two amigos" (apologies to Disney) in
search of the invisible messanger to deliver the answer as to why this
should be. Meanwhile, experiments continue........

Still can't find my el cheapo caliper, but I did run across my Free Rockler
Nut and Bolt Gauge (hey, it least it wasn't my Free Black Handyman Club of
America Drill Gauge). The Rockler 5/8" slid right on the SS shaft - this
after I had to search for my Harbor Freight Hex Wrenches to remove the
current occupant. There is some slop, but it doesn't look to be more than a
couple thou. Slides clean to the base of the shaft. My SS is a 1956.