Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph

Default Ping Mac Davis ! Shopsmith arbor diameterG.

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
Mac, Bill noble needs a second opinion on the shopsmith shaft diameter. My
SS reads .6171" (about 1/128" shy of 5/8") with my el cheapo vernier
caliper. Ditto for the inside diameter of all my arbors and I have some
newer ones like a 1-1/4" sawblade adator from a mark V. Anyway, if you have
a way of measuring your SS (if you still have it) Bill and I would
appreciate the info. Same applies for anyone else here. Bill thinks maybe
mine is smaller, but all the arbors fit good and snug. The problem
is.......he has access to a manufactured adaptor that says it fits SS and it
is 5/8" true bored (he dosen't have a SS to test it on though). I think that
mfg. may have made it a little sloppy but I don't know for sure. Any help
from anyone will be most appreciated. Man I can't help it if someone got
into the non-filtered, left-handed cigarettes when they manufactured this
thing in 1949 (I checked the serial # for a fact). But by trying newer
arbors at least they are consistent. I am joking about the above comment on
the cigarettes. Not joking about the year of mfg. I really like my shopsmith
and that is a good thing. It is all I have to work with.:-)
TIA Lyndell

Been using a shopsmith for quite a while, 20 years. The shaft at the
time I bought it was (is) 5/5" dia.