Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Default Musing if turning well is a lack of failure or a hope for glory.

Ralph wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:
"robo hippy" wrote:

I have never been able to take a turned bowl and run it through the
bandsaw. It may be just because I am too cheap. I mean why ruin a
perfectly good (or maybe not perfect) bowl that will sell for $25 or
more, just to see if the walls have a perfect thickness. Use calipers
( I like the bent wire kind that I saw on the David Elsworth videos),
then run your hands and fingers over the inside and outside of the
bowl. You can feel any bigger bumps, and smaller ones will sand out.
I can measure from the rim of the bowl to the bottom, and see if the
thickness is consistant, but cut it in half? Never.
robo hippy

You do get a better view of the form when you cut a piece in half. If
you look at the 'whole', you are distracted by finish and grain. When
you look at the cut edge of a piece you are seeing unadorned Form and
can learn a lot from it.

Rather that cut the bowl in two and make fancy firewood, Feel it. I
can feel the thickness of a bowl and tell if it's uniform throughout
or not.
I'm sure that most turners can. I agree with the others that it
seems
a waste of time, effort and money to willingly destroy something I
made just to determine wall thickness which can be determined by other
means.
Furthermore, does it really matter if the wall of a bowl is a
uniform
1/8" or 1/32" thickness throughout or if the thickness varies from
1/8" to 1/4" as long as the shape and finish pleases the eye?

Form is More than thickness.