Posted to alt.home.repair
BRIAN MEEHAN

Default Electrical Permits in NJ

I used to live in NJ I didnt own a duplex but I did all my electrical work
with permits the code official went over my work with a fine tooth comb and
signed off on them I dont understand why a duplex would be diffrent since it
still needs to be inspected also after it is signed off by the code official
it doesnt matter who did the work the inspector should be the one held
liable. I would go talk to the electrical inspector and tell him what you
want to do.
"MB" wrote in message
oups.com...
I went to apply for my permits today to add the new bathroom to the
house. The house is a twin (aka duplex). The building inspector told
me that since the house is a duplex, I can't do my own electrical work
(even though the the state code says specifies that homeowners can do
there own work in residential structures). Anyone in NJ ever hear of
this? His reason is that "there is no problem with you burning down
your own house, but they wont let you bring down the house attached to
you". I now have to go find an electricial to sign the electrical
permit application, which isn't a big deal since I work with a bunch of

electricians.

Oddly, the plumbing inspector has no problem with me doing the plumbing

(and potentially flooding my attached neighbors out!) and approved my
plumbing plans.