Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Lord Garth

Default Wood as an insulator?

"Anthony Fremont" wrote in message

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote:
Why is it safe to use wood around high voltage when it contains
moisture?

Who said that it was?

According to www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/emc.htm , wood contains
approximately 2-15% moisture at room temperature.

Wood is usually classified as an insulator, but don't bet your life on
it. ;-) I would imagine that's why you see glass (or whatever they're
made of now) insulators used even at relatively low voltages.

I used to climb up the utility pole to get on the garage roof to retrieve
things
as a child. I always was slightly shocked until my feet were off the
ground.
Then again, I did grow up 1 block from the Gulf of Mexico so the salt spray
and high humidity had much to do with the conduction through the wooden
pole.