Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Brubaker

Default BT3100 saw - reasons not to buy one ?

Matt,
I have a Ryobi BT3100 and it isn't a bad intro saw if you are just getting
started and aren't sure if you want to commit to an expensive cabinet saw.
The unit itself is pretty cheap and as you have found there are a bunch of
after market accessories for it.

However, words of warning; by the time you equip the unit with all of the
bells and whistles you will probably want as you get more serious you will
have spent as much if not more for a decent cabinet saw.

I am speaking from experience as I bought a packaged deal (extension
tables, micro-adjustable fence, router table extension) from a company that
will go unmentioned and although it is a good product, I spent way too much
for it. Now I am left with an average setup but not near as nice as a
comporably priced cabinet saw.

Live an learn. I just hope my mistakes will help others.

"matthew silver" wrote in message
.. .
I am considering a new tablesaw, mostly because I need a much larger fence
system.

I came across the Ryobi BT3100 - which looks like a pretty neat although
different saw.
In my initial Googling research, I found that additional rails are easy to
acquire from Ryobi and that the saw has a cult like following.

Requirements:

Annual Run time: under 50 hours / home dyi / furniture / hobbyist
small foot print: (I'm not moving so I can have a bigger shop -
not with this wife atleast )!
set up & accurate easy / uncomplicated set up where repeatable cuts
are simple
long lasting / well built - not a "5 season machine"
large cutting capacity - with / available extension rails
my list goes on, but excludes the unreasonable

I have only read good things about the BT3100 - maybe I may have
developed tunnel vision

What are the cons of this machine ?

Thanks in advance
Matt