Posted to rec.woodworking
Java Man

Default OT - Google

In article ,
says...
Java Man wrote:

In article ,
says...

It's simple to say that Google should just tell the Chinese to go
**** themselves... but then what do you have? Nothing.

Or perhaps Google ripoffs emerging in China, with no protection
for Google's IP?

Not sure I understand what you mean. Could you explain it further?

China is famous for ripping off intellectual property of many kinds --
patents, copyrights, etc. Google has a competitive advantage in the
search engine business. It says it wants to "organize the world's
information". If it didn't comply with China's request, I can think of a
few negative consequences for Google.

If it wants to include China's information, it has to submit to China's
conditions. They may have included either submitting to censorship or
granting access to records far beyond what the Bush administration is
seeking. I don't know whether there's a quid-pro-quo for agreeing to
censorship, but it's possible that China may have agreed to enforce any
intellectual property rights Google may use to protect its competitive
advantage. I don't know the world of search engines, and for all I
know, there may be no IP to protect? Another possibility is that
agreeing to China's conditions allows Google access to the Chinese
market, thus helping to forestall (or even prevent) a Chinese competitor
from establishing a foothold in the Market. Yes, Google has a big lead,
but only a fool thinks a big lead is insurmountable. Ask GM.

Rick