Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default OT - Google

Joe Barta wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Joe
Barta wrote:

Also try to see how the Google-China compromise, while not
exactly what we would like, is as good as we can get FOR NOW...
and it can be a step in a good direction.

Bull****. Google could have told the Chinese government to go ****
themselves.

Of course they could. Then people start getting fired and replaced
with other people that WILL seek to expand and tap the Chinese market
in the best way possible at this time.

You suffer from unrealistic and impractical idealism.

They decided to suck tit rather than stand up to the principles
the company was founded on.

Suck tit? Not sure what that means. At any rate, Google is a
corporation. They are in business to make money and making money is
good. Also, keep in mind that decisions are rarely between that which
is good and that which is bad. It's usually a little more complicated
than that and given all considerations the folks making the decisions
make the best one they can.

It's simple to say that Google should just tell the Chinese to go ****
themselves... but then what do you have? Nothing.

IIRC, a couple of years(?) ago when this all started, China was blocking
google altogether, but bowed to internal pressure. Then they tried
blocking the google cache. That meant the user was confronted with
broken links. Google had only to put a notice up saying "hacked by PRC"
or whatever and they could have called it good.

So this deal doesn't remove Google from a ban list or otherwise stop
google from making money in china. It is a convenience to the PRC that
a nice government friendly airbrush is being applied to the world,
courtesy of Google.

er
--
email not valid