Tim Williams

Default How To Build A Micrometer

"Ben Nguyen" wrote in message
m...
Im looking for ideas to do for a school project and came up with
a digital micrometer.

Does anyone know whats involved? I want something challenging, but not
something impossible!

Hmm... for something hacked, you could take a bit of threaded rod and
tap a hole in a piece of stock for it, then pull the encoder circuitry
out of a mouse (as I mentioned above) and setup the computer software
to read the X or Y axis of the mouse and scale it to revolutions.
Then based on TPI of the thread, you've got your measurement. Give or
take 1/16".

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"