Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Seeking recommendations: Composite material

Hi all,

I'm looking for material which is wafer thin, very strong, and most
importantly - light weight. I have looked at carbon fibre, but It's
either too expensive or doesn't come in the shapes sizes I'm looking
for. I will use it to make a custom 1/10 scale RC chassis. I've heard
of using balsa coated (doped) with some kind of compound made from some
kind of epoxy and talc. I'm considering fibreglas cloth and epoxy or
polyester resin. I may make a mould out of a block of wood to make a
square tube shape for starters. Does anybody have any experience
working with fibreglas and perhaps have any suggestions on how I can
get started? If moulding it, should I use wood or metal? for a release
agent, what should I use. Should the block have a slight taper for
easier release? Etc. You get the idea
I hope someone can lead me from start to finish. Is there a website or
book you can recommend?

Thank you all.