Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Harry Muscle

Default Does coating stranded copper wire with solder cause any issues or break any codes?

Does coating stranded copper wire with solder and then connecting it to
a standard outlet cause any issues or break any codes?

I have a small project I put together (this is all inside of a big box
.... ie: not inside a wall or part of the house ... but I still would
like to make sure it's safe and meets any code requirements as if it
was inside a wall or part of the house) which uses stranded copper wire
(14AWG). I coated the ends with solder and then bend them to shape
before connecting them to standard outlets (screwed on, not the push
in). Will this cause any problems or break any electrical codes (I'm
located in Ontario, Canada in case that matters).

The reason why I'm asking is because I've been doing a whole bunch of
reading about issues with aluminum wire, one of the issues being the
thermal expansion problems caused by the aluminum wire expanding at a
different rate than the screw connector it's connected to on an
outlet/switch/etc. So this made me wonder if the solder will cause any
problems with thermal expansion of it being different than the screw
that it's screwed on to, etc.?

Thanks for any info you share,
Harry