Posted to atl.general,alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing
Red Jacket

Default Sewer clean out installation

Sure Copper Sulfate works well. You poison allot of fish too.
Roots NEVER stop. Few things in the world are as strong and if
they feel water they get it.
Its best always to dig and replace.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Had a similar issue years ago with tree roots. Tried to snake it
myself and ended up getting the snake stuck about 40' out from the
house. No way to budge it. You never want to hear your plumber say
"backhoe"! $1900 later I had a brand new pvc line out to the street
with a cleanout on the front lawn. Main reason for the cleanout
outside was that since they had to dig they yard up anyway, if it ever
clogged again they would be able to snake it without messing up the
basement as much.

If the city won't fix it, I would go with the root poison (copper
sulfate I believe, every 6 months) and roto rooter on a preventive
maintenance schedule as the cheap option. If it becomes a constant
problem, look at the expensive fix.