Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fuse Blown After Transporting CRT Monitor

wrote:
I have a Miro C2085 20" CRT monitor that was working until I gave it to
my brother and he took it away. Now the fuse is blown within the power
supply. When I replaced the fuse and turned on the monitor, the new
fuse lit up instantly like a flash bulb as it also blew.

There is definitely a short-circuit somewhere. The only way I can
imagine that it came about was that monitor may have taken a hard
bounce when my brother transported it in the back of his minivan. Yet I
see no obvious damage to the surrounding external casing. Other than
this, I have no explanation for why the monitor was once working but is
no longer doing so.

I don't remember what kind of CRT this was but the power supply board
is a Sony part.

Any and all advice will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

if the unit was taken from a cold van into room temperature and
switched on, condensation may have formed and shorted the power supply
rectifier or HOT.
you'll need to see the repair faq for trouleshoting this one:

www.repairfaq.org.

READ and observe the vital safety info as there are lethal voltages in
these sets even after the plug has been pulled.
-B.