Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fuse Blown After Transporting CRT Monitor

My brother's house uses the same voltage as mine 120v. I'm in NewYork
while he's in New Jersey but both are in the U.S. with the same line
voltage.

Anyway, he returned the monitor to me where I replaced the fuse only to
see it blow again, so that's not at issue here.

I did find a loose screw inside that I did remove. There was one
missing for mounting the metal shielding just inside the plastic shell
so that accounts for this. I had hoped that this would explain the
short-circuit but I ended up blowing yet another fuse anyway.

This monitor is much too large to be able to be shaken with ease so as
to listen for any loose items rattling. I DID stand it up on different
ends to see if this MIGHT happen but no. This thing is built pretty
solid.

BTW, the monitor uses a Sony Trinitron tube

Gerard Bok wrote:
On 31 Jan 2006 21:56:29 -0800, wrote:

I have a Miro C2085 20" CRT monitor that was working until I gave it to
my brother and he took it away. Now the fuse is blown within the power
supply. When I replaced the fuse and turned on the monitor, the new
fuse lit up instantly like a flash bulb as it also blew.

There is definitely a short-circuit somewhere. The only way I can
imagine that it came about was that monitor may have taken a hard
bounce when my brother transported it in the back of his minivan. Yet I
see no obvious damage to the surrounding external casing. Other than
this, I have no explanation for why the monitor was once working but is
no longer doing so.

Where does your brother keep his coins ?
Any chance that your brother's premises are wired to a different
voltage ?

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok