Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Nebenzahl

Default Laser printer toner usage

Ron(UK) spake thus:

wrote:

Not likely. Most cartridges are spec'd as so many pages of 3%
coverage. If they worked as that guy said, you'd only get 3% of the
pages before it ran out of toner.

He may have been misled by those cartridges having a magnetized toner
pickup rod. One look at those and it *seems* like that's what's going
on.

Well that`s what I thought, another thing is how would they get
adjustable densities of toner/ toner save etc. They do seem to waste
more toner than they use tho.

Not really.

Case in point: my HP LaserJet 2100, which I've had for more than 5 years
now. I use it fairly regularly, though not heavily. I'm still on the
original cartridge.

Laser printers (and their cousins, toner-based photocopiers) all have
recovery mechanisms which are designed to get the toner that doesn't
stick to the copy back into the reservoir. Otherwise, they'd blast
through toner like a Republican administration's military spending.

--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.