Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Musing if turning well is a lack of failure or a hope for glory.

"robo hippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have never been able to take a turned bowl and run it through the
bandsaw. It may be just because I am too cheap. I mean why ruin a
perfectly good (or maybe not perfect) bowl that will sell for $25 or
more, just to see if the walls have a perfect thickness. Use calipers (
I like the bent wire kind that I saw on the David Elsworth videos),
then run your hands and fingers over the inside and outside of the
bowl. You can feel any bigger bumps, and smaller ones will sand out. I
can measure from the rim of the bowl to the bottom, and see if the
thickness is consistant, but cut it in half? Never.

So what's of advantage in "consistent thickness" anyway? Fair curves inside
and out are all I worry about. I let the bottom thickness grow, using the
lower center of gravity thus developed to compensate for a narrower base.
This isn't pottery, after all, where differences in thickness can destroy it
in the kiln.

As to pushing oneself, that's great, but as Harry once said, "a man's got to
know his limits." We need the wisdom to know where those limits lie.