Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Wally

Default Musing if turning well is a lack of failure or a hope for glory.

Arch, long ago I promised myself that I would never ever say "that's
good enough" instead, I want to be able to look at a piece and say
"that's as good as I can do". It's easy to stray from that promise, so
I sometimes have to get after myself. Only once in a while can I look
at a piece and say "I really got that one right". The perfect form is
very elusive. Pressure is when I have a couple of pieces to do for a
show, and time is growing short.
Arch wrote:
I've heard that you can learn a lot about a restaurant's success or its
impending failure by looking in its garbage cans. I wonder what can be
learned about a
woodturner by inspecting his rejects and ruined pieces. Unlike
restaurants, it sometimes seems as if the more pieces ruined, the more
exacting and presumably better the turner.

"No risk, No glory" "One last cut! " "Always do the best you can"
"One fine piece is far better than ten good enough ones" "If you follow
the crowd, you can never get ahead of the crowd" "I turn what I like
when I like" One cliche' is as good or bad as another, but "to coin a
phrase", "where there's smoke, there's fire"

Cliche's aside, it's not easy for some of us to make that 'one last cut'
or take other risks for failure or take inordinate time in trying for
excellence, instead we settle for mediocrity. Thin walls and fine
finishes seem to lead the list of things we fear. It's easier and
safer not to strive, but then we try to convince ourselves that thick
walls feel secure, and smooth & glossy isn't nature's way. Somehow, we
are never really convinced even when we convince others.

Some of you are able to forget about the disappointments of ruined
pieces and wasted time and materials for the occasional joy of great
success. Perhaps you can tell us how to force ourselves to take one more
cut or add one more coat of lacquer. Failing that, please tell us how to
cope with our 'belt and suspenders' approach to woodturning.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter