Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Vibration Hollowing A Bowl

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 01:34:47 GMT, Mike wrote:

Barry N. Turner wrote:
My blank was green but had been cut a while and was Anchor Sealed. I didn't
get the impression that warping was the problem, but I may have been wrong.
I'll try some of your other suggestions. Thanks.

Barry,
I meant warping on the lathe while you were taking a break - even a short
one while sharpening your gouges or taking a bio-break. The warping may be
small, but it is encouraged by by leaving a hot light near one side.

Jim Pugh, an occasional poster here, gave me a great tip on turning green
wood.... when you need to take a break, wrap the work in a plastic bag to slow
drying while you're away...

I was turning a bunch of almond last year and it would crack on the lathe if I
got a damn phone call!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing