Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Steve Yerbury

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Steve Yerbury wrote:
Better push your car off the forecourt, then...

Why?

Petrol vapour is heavier than air.

agreed

Nozzle in tank - phone to ear. Starter motor is usually near the bottom
of the engine - so within about a foot or so of the ground. Near
maximum petrol vapour surrounding it.

Disagree. The concentration of petrol will be around the nozzle/filler.
Unless of course you are in a confined space and there is no
ventilation.

Ok then. Do you use your mobile phone to talk with your dick? ;-)

I don't even have a pet name for mine. Do you.

[snip]

Of course RF (microwave) energy can cause a fire. Everyone with a
microwave oven knows you can cook with them. But they produce hundreds
of watts of energy. A mobile phone about a maximum of 1 watt - and only
for a very short time. And of course they can produce that maximum RF
when simply 'talking' to their nearest base station while not in actual
use.

RF is a red herring.

Really? So explain the dangers of using a mobile phone?

I've yet to see a plausible explanation about why a mobile phone can be
left on but not used close to a petrol pump.

The guidance from the HSE says it must be turned off.

They are frequently fallible. Laws on the use of laser 'pointers' are a
prime example. Plenty more around too.

The risk is small, but it is still a risk.

I'm still waiting for an answer why using a phone is more of a risk than
just having it on your person. If it's not RF, then it's the danger of it
being dropped and a spark from the battery connector. Dunno about you, but
it falling out of my pocket is equally as likely as dropping it in use.
Both near enough zero.

Have you performed a risk assessment under DSEAR?
--
Gerbil