Posted to alt.home.repair
BP

Default Upgrading my septic system

wrote in message
oups.com...
Evening All,

I was pondering something way above my home repair grade, so please
tell me if I'm heading in the right direction.

I have a septic system tank and drainfield that uses good old gravity.

I want to add an addition with some bedrooms. I am concerned that I am
perc'd to the max and don't have much room to build a bigger field.

Can I modify my gravity system and upgrade it to a "low pressure
system"? to get more out of my field?

Only your local Board of Health or similar agency can make that
determination. Ask them.

What is really the limiting factor to the number of bedrooms? The
perc? The available field size?

The calculations for designing a septic system assume that every human in
the house uses a certain amount of water per day. It further assumes that
there is one human for every bedroom. The assumed gallons per person factors
in the fact that there is often more than one person in a bedroom.
The perc rate determines how many gallons of water could be drained through
a given area of the soil in your yard in a given amount of time.
The size of the leach field is calculated using the amount of water to be
introduced and how long it takes to drain through the soil. The faster the
water drains, the smaller the area the leach field needs to be, and vice
versa.

What are some other alternatives to getting those extra bedrooms?

If you have the room on your lot, you make the leach field larger.

Thanks,

Steve