Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mojo

Default Experiencing problem with discontinued Gateway 56" DLP TV, Rant

Has anyone experienced a problem with their Gateway 56" DLP TV, where
Screen flickers almost like you are looking at a negative of a
photograph ?

Gateway 56" DLP TV, 26 months old...past the 1 year warranty....and
Gateway tech support is useless..They even tired to change my $45 to
tell me where I can get out of warranty repairs done on there own
discontinued 56" DLP................... @ss-holds

My TV was purchased by me in Dec 2003, warranty expired in Dec 2004.
TV started having intermittent picture problems " Screen flickers
almost like you are looking at a negative of a photograph" after an
2-3 housr or so of use in Nov 2005, and now finally flickers after
just 15 -20 minutes. After spending over $3500 on this TV, I figure

1. Figured I go and ordered a new bulb (can always send back) even
though original bulb & filament still looks fine. $400.00 later from
GTW, since no other place would guarantee a refund if did not work
....bulb definitely not the problem.

2. After talking with a couple of technicians, here is a breakdown of
what GTW will charge for out of warranty repairs. Only the parts are
refundable IF they turn out not to use them. GTW has contract with
company called D1 to handle their service work. Thus, GTW cannot sell
service parts to anyone else................I MEAN NO ONE. D1 is the
only company that can get parts to repair GW'S discontinued DLP tv's
$50 processing fee (read "paperwork fee")
$200 technician fee (read "site charge")
THAT'S RIGHT........... $250 JUST TO WALK IN MY DOOR

$250 labor charge (in addition to the technician fee)
parts:
$2400 optical engine (includes drive motor and wheel - cannot buy
wheel separate)
$170 tuner board
$370 control board
$130 AV board
$120 additional audio driver board

4. Obviously, I am not paying more than what I could buy a new DLP/LCD
TV for, just to get this hunk-a-junk fixed. So.....

Boy did I F@ck myself over in buying this DLP from Gateway. I was
warned not to buy a tv from a computer company,

unless any of you guys got any ideas.......................RANT OVER

thanks for sharing my pain..............LOL