Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Default Cincinnati Horozontal Mill problem

Oops! Missed the link

http://scienceworks.museum.vic.gov.au/
Tom

"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...

Scienceworks is the science branch of Museums
Victoria located in Melbourne Australia (Where
it was 109 degrees Fahrenheit last week and is
65 degrees today)

Here's a link to our page

Tom
"wayne mak"
wrote in message
Where is your museum?
"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...
I volunteer at the local science
museum,rebuilding old machinery. Mostly steam
and early diesel tractors and road rollers. We
have a pretty good shop with a selection
older, but good solid machine tools. Among
them is a Cincinnati horizontal mill No.2 M1
( serial F5409-6) made in 1946. Another of the
volunteers(No , it really Wasn't me) pulled
the gearbox selector assembly off the side of
it as the machine appeared to be seized. It
appears that it somehow selected two different
gear ratios at once. It appears also, that the
gear selection is done hydraulically by
pistons which push selector arms in response
to the position of a multi-port valve .The
question is -how do you get the selector arms
in the correct position to re-assemble it. We
will probably have to replace the "o" rings on
the pistons as that is possibly why it
selected two gears at once.
Does anyone have any experience with this or a
similar machine? Am I looking in the correct
areas and are my suppositions reasonable?

We spent 2 hours today (and a fair amount of
bad language) trying to get those selectors in
the right positions to re-assemble it.

Tom Miller