Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Cutting laminate in-situ.

Mark Trueman wrote:
Hi,

Currently our front room and dining room are joined (by a 1.5 m
archway) and have the same laminate flooring running through. We are
going to change the front room laminate to new laminate this weekend,
but leaving the dining room laminate in place. I have 2 questions
about this process.

1. Whats the best way to cut the laminate where the 2 rooms join. I
was thinking of just using a tenon saw to do a deep score and then
snapping the laminate (if i cant saw all the way through), but any
other ideas would be great. The subfloor is floorboards by the way. I
suppose a router could be used, but i dont have one.

2. Where the new laminate and the old laminate join we want to have as
seamless a joint as possible, but there has to be some kind of strip
to cover the join (as i assume i need an expansion gap here). We dont
want one of the metal ones, and thought maybe a bit of beading
stained and varnished would suffice. Is this going to be resistant
enough to foot traffic. Any other ideas as to a non-intrusive
mechanism for joining the new and old flooring (one is dark oak and
one is light beech)

Many thanks

Mark

The problem you have to wach is...when traffic is going from room to room
because of the membrane underneath you get flexing at both ends of the cut
and whatever you use will have to be screwed down.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite