Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Trueman

Default Cutting laminate in-situ.

Hi,

Currently our front room and dining room are joined (by a 1.5 m
archway) and have the same laminate flooring running through. We are
going to change the front room laminate to new laminate this weekend,
but leaving the dining room laminate in place. I have 2 questions about
this process.

1. Whats the best way to cut the laminate where the 2 rooms join. I was
thinking of just using a tenon saw to do a deep score and then snapping
the laminate (if i cant saw all the way through), but any other ideas
would be great. The subfloor is floorboards by the way. I suppose a
router could be used, but i dont have one.

2. Where the new laminate and the old laminate join we want to have as
seamless a joint as possible, but there has to be some kind of strip to
cover the join (as i assume i need an expansion gap here). We dont want
one of the metal ones, and thought maybe a bit of beading stained and
varnished would suffice. Is this going to be resistant enough to foot
traffic. Any other ideas as to a non-intrusive mechanism for joining
the new and old flooring (one is dark oak and one is light beech)

Many thanks

Mark