Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Finishing off a basement Step 1 ?

"Evo" wrote in message
1) seal and/or paint the inside block walls.

definitely seal the block wall. They make sealer for block walls that will
keep all water out from at least the wall surface.

2) stud out with 2X4s positioned an additional 2" from the wall so
that I could stuff 6" fiberglas insulation between the 16" on center
studs.

not sure about the fiberglass. But if its dry it should be ok.

3. Cover it all with plastic before screwing on 1/2" drywall

vapor barrier sounds like a good idea.

I dunno. The block is sealed. Then plastic? You've now locked in
whatever moisture there is into the wall cavity. I'd probably seal the
block and use rigid insulation. Then build the wall with a bit of space
between it and the insulation for air movement.
Cheers,
cc