Default How To Build A Micrometer

(Ben Nguyen) wrote in message om...
Thanks for the great ideas! Incidentally, this is for my senior
project in engineering technology at ucsd. I graduate
in June 04, so thats the timeframe Im working with.

I was looking at my computer mouse, and that seems to do something similar.
What if I use the rolling mechanism that the ball turns and its circuit
board to make a digital caliper?

Even better if I could replace the circuit board completely with something
homebrew!

Thanks!

Another thing you might want to do is start building a pile of
subscriptions to the freebie trade magazines, like EDN, Machine
Design, etc. Most are available online now, at least in part. One of
the big publishers is Penton. These are great resources for thing like
new products, technology surveys, etc., and mostly the ads. These are
fairly narrowly targeted (they are free, after all, and the publishers
make their nut on targeted ads), but that is actually an advantage.
Subscribe to the ones that match your field most closely. (I get
several of the welding and fab ones, EDN, machine Design, and a few
others)