Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Default Cincinnati Horozontal Mill problem

Scienceworks is the science branch of Museums
Victoria located in Melbourne Australia (Where it
was 109 degrees Fahrenheit last week and is 65
degrees today)

Here's a link to our page

Tom
"wayne mak" wrote
in message ...
Where is your museum?
"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...
I volunteer at the local science
museum,rebuilding old machinery. Mostly steam
and early diesel tractors and road rollers. We
have a pretty good shop with a selection older,
but good solid machine tools. Among them is a
Cincinnati horizontal mill No.2 M1 ( serial
F5409-6) made in 1946. Another of the
volunteers(No , it really Wasn't me) pulled the
gearbox selector assembly off the side of it as
the machine appeared to be seized. It appears
that it somehow selected two different gear
ratios at once. It appears also, that the gear
selection is done hydraulically by pistons
which push selector arms in response to the
position of a multi-port valve .The question
is -how do you get the selector arms in the
correct position to re-assemble it. We will
probably have to replace the "o" rings on the
pistons as that is possibly why it selected two
gears at once.
Does anyone have any experience with this or a
similar machine? Am I looking in the correct
areas and are my suppositions reasonable?

We spent 2 hours today (and a fair amount of
bad language) trying to get those selectors in
the right positions to re-assemble it.

Tom Miller