Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Gasoline Storage

wrote in message
ups.com...
: Maybe your local Fire Marshal could provide suggestions, as
could a
: local contractor specializing in storage for institutions that
might
: store a few hundred gallons.
:
: It seems desirable to isolate the fuel from heat of fire
(underground)
: and with safe venting to prevent pressure buildup. Then a
hand-pump
: would transfer to containers. I've seen such a package
installed to
: Fire Marshal's satisfaction in CT. The tank had to be coated to
his
: satisfaction, inside & out, and he wanted to see about a foot
of
: round-sand next to the tank- even had it partly dug out after
the fact
: to be certain.
:
: With kerosene, he had no problem with storage in barrels above
ground.
: Looks like diesel it is, on first-cost basis alone, for many.

Makes lots of sense; I do plan on talking to the fire dept again.
It's been a couple years and at that time I just wanted to be
sure they'd be OK with my having the gasoline around in that
quantity. Oh, and I already have the trench/sand/gravel moat,
BTW. It'll drain out into an empty field if fire ever does open
any of those containers. It was easy to do at the time, so ...
..

Pop