Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Gasoline Storage

"Toller" wrote in message
news :
: "Pop" wrote in message
: news:VAKDf.2424$ap3.1827@trndny03...
: Hi,
:
: What do you folk do for gasoline storage for your generators?
:
: I am in far northern NY with harsh winters and occasional
: multi-day power outages with frequent outages of several
hours in
: the winter. Worst one so far was during the Ice Storm of
'98 - 5
: days without power.
:
: Thats not so bad; I was 10 days from the 91 ice storm and 6
days from the 98
: wind storm. But we rarely have a short outage.
:
: Here's my solution, but I don't like it:
: I simply keep about 30-35 gallons of gas on hand beginning
: about late November through February. They're all in proper
: containers, stored outdoors, in a small open "locker" I made
for
: the purpose, painted red, highly visible from the
road/driveway
: for emergency vehicles, and clearly labelled as gasoline
storage,
: no smoking, all that good stuff. But that's a LOT of gas
sitting
: around in separate containers, some of the plastic, which I
know
: I should get rid of. That locker is about ten feet from the
: garage and near a storage shed behind them, with a wooden
gate
: into the area. Theft is not a problem - very rural, motion
: lites, siren, and someone is home near 24/7, etc..
:
: That seems quite reasonable; I just have 3-2 gallon plastic
cans sitting on
: a shelf in my garage.
: A real inflamable cabinet would be a good upgrade (for either
of us). I see
: them at auctions for reasonable prices every now and then but
can't justify
: the room they take up.
:
: I wanted a farm tank wiht a pump, but was refused; have to be
: business.
:
: It is easy enough to register as a business; if that would be
enough. Get a
: tax certificate and all that. (means you have to file
quarterly, even if
: you don't actually do any business...) You could be Pop's snow
plowing, and
: then just never get around to doing it.

Actually, that is a problem for me. I am disabled and starting a
business, even just on paper as a sole proprietor, would look
pretty bad to the "powers that be" (read as gummint critters).
They'd be all over me for SGA, taxes and all kinds of things,
looking to take it away from me. rant I committed murder for
them, and they'd "murder" me just as fast as we did the gooks;
there's nothing fair about our government and they're only there
when you don't need them.
/rant

Pop