Posted to alt.home.repair
ballpark

Default Initially Lawn Mower Won't Start - After it starts it runs perfect.

Hi,

Cleaned the primer system tonight. Everything went back together very
good.
I removed the air filter and tried to see if fuel would appear if I
primed the carb. I didn't see any fuel at all. Later, after I pulled
on the start cord there was gas in there, but it just sat on the bottom
of the carb.

Couldn't get it started so I used some started fluid to get the engine
going. I could definately see the fuel comming out of the jet at that
point. I also did the test of starting to cover the intake and the
engine would almost stall and even made a quick puff of dark smoke.

Once its going it runs forever.

Here is a web page of some pictures of the intake, mower, governer, and
model numbers. Maybe it will help.
http://www.bf3.us/briggs

Thanks for all the help. I do think its not getting enough fuel though
priming. As to the next step I am unsure.