Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike

Default Vibration Hollowing A Bowl

Barry N. Turner wrote:
My blank was green but had been cut a while and was Anchor Sealed. I didn't
get the impression that warping was the problem, but I may have been wrong.
I'll try some of your other suggestions. Thanks.

Barry,
I meant warping on the lathe while you were taking a break - even a short
one while sharpening your gouges or taking a bio-break. The warping may be
small, but it is encouraged by by leaving a hot light near one side.

The other hint one of "the greats" told me once was to rough out a bowl,
leave it thick, let it sit for an hour or so, then after the internal stresses
have readjusted themselves it is time to finish turn, starting with the
outside of course, then the inside.

--
Mike Vore
http://andersonranchtrip.blogspot.com