Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk

Default OT - Tim Daneluk

entfillet wrote:

SNIP

from me and others. Lead by example, and I will be similarly still. "

Now, this is a very interesting expression of intent. Do you mean to
say that on; alt.smokers.pipes, comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,
comp.lang.python, rec.photo.equipment.medium-format, fa.freebsd.stable,
rec.photo.darkroom, comp.protocols.smb,
rec.photo.equipment.large-format, rec.photo.equipment.large-format,
comp.mail.sendmail, comp.lang.python.announce, gnu.emacs.bug,
alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, comp.mail.sendmail, rec.photo.misc,
mailing.freebsd.ports, muc.lists.freebsd.stable - all of which
represent a subset of the newsgroups that you have been a participant
in, you have found the level of restraint greater than here on
rec.woodworking?

I've exhibited *absolutely* more restraint in all but rec.woodworking and
a.s.pipes *both* of which are NGs that regularly practice OT sideshows
with many participants. Years ago, there were some of these in some of
the photo groups but they were relatively few in number and not widely
practiced by the larger community AND they tended to die down pretty
quickly. In the vast majority of the aforementioned groups I have
stayed very much OT to either ask questions, answer questions (because
these are groups wherein I *do* have expertise to share), or make
OT comments. I hope this is OK with you and your fellow NG Policemen.

Would you care to have this proven to be false

Is it really necessary?

Isn't the truth obvious?

Yes the truth is quite obvious. OT postings are permitted / encouraged /
nurtured so long as they contain the politically correct content that a
few self-anointed nannies have prescribed. When said nannies get backed
into a rhetorical corner by someone equal to their writing, the scream
"foul, you're OT." Sorry Sparky, you cannot on the one hand have a culture
that embraces OT chatter and then howl about how much its been hijacked
by "conflict junkies." For example, I despised Clinton but you will not
find reams of OT threads I initiated to beat him up. When others
defended him, I sometimes jumped in, but I respected the silence
otherwise. Jaques, Fred, Watson, et al are very quick to howl about
any political topic they wish, and then howl again when they get
countering argument they cannot refute.

If this group seriously wishes for OT threads to go away, I will honor
it in the same degree other members do. Which is to say that the Usual
Suspects cannot jump in, rant about Bush, the War, the color of their
underwear, or whatever else strikes their fancy and then demand those of
us with opposing view be still. (Note: I have no distinct position on
the color of people's underwear.) In short - and I'll use simple concepts
and small words for the Guilty - I did not (typically) start political
conflict and I will not do so in the future. But if you start with
the nonsense that has characterized this group for years, expect to
get spanked (no doubt some of you enjoy it).

Isn't it actually the case that you have made a Usenet career of
inserting yourself into groups where you have nothing to contribute and
only seek to call attention to yourself , without regard for the
culture of the groups that you violate?

I am *very* much a part of the wreck culture in which OT threads are
regularly intiated (usually/almost never by me) on political topics.
You cannot rationally chastise me for something I did not initiate
and which goes on whether I post or not. You can, of course, do
so irrationally ... oh, you already have.

You are a Usenet junky, Daneliuk.

I don't have to be a junky. I read and write rapidly, thereby making
the refutation of foul ideas a minor part of the day.

You are also a conflict junky.

Only when presented with pernicious ideas and boneheaded logic. I'm
actually rather easy to get on with otherwise.

And your song has grown tired unto our ears.

Then don't listen. In fact, I offer you the opportunity to make
it go away completely by not starting the humming in the first place.
Personally, I don't think you and the rest can do it, but I'm absolutely
willing to honor your doing so.

Mr. Blanchard ("What does the turtle stand on?") has made a reasonably
polite inquiry; followed by a brace of fools who misunderstood his
intent.

Yes, I know, we mere unenlightened plebes are indeed a "brace of fools"
for failing to sign up for the politically correct outcome dictated
by our betters.

I am not one who uses killfiles, but, if I did, you would be one of the
first in the bin.

I am smitten with sadness about that and will work diligently to
overcome my despair.

Other than his misspelling of your name, for use in the blocking of
your posts, I believe him to be right on target.

A belief you are entitled to. But if you give your beliefs voice
here, then expect counterargument from people who do not share your
religion. This is not cruel, ill-intentioned, or mean-spirited,
it is called _discussion_, something that's been dying at the hands
of the PC Thought Police for too long.

Good Day, Sir.

Well, at least you have one positive note. I think I already *did*
have a Good Day and hopefully will have many more.

N.B. I really am not trying to be a wise guy here. The culture of
the Wreck was contentious when I first started reading it and it
has always been so with many an OT thread, political especially.
I will *absolutely* honor the culture of the group as it evolves
as I presently honor it by engaging in its normal practices.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/