Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

Default Planes

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
On my list of remaining tools to buy are some planes. I've been mainly
a normite up until now, but inheirited a jackplane which has gotten me
interested in hand tools. So much so, I bought a tormek which has made
all the difference in the world for my chisels. After watching Roy
Underhill and much thought, I've decided to add a few specialty planes
to the collection.

So I guess I have two questions. What planes would you recommend, and
who is a good source for specialty planes, since I can't seem to find
any online?

For example, I think I need a smoothing plane, spoke shave, and a
cabinet scraper. I think I could probably pass on the planes designed
for smoothing rough lumber since I'm most likely to use the jointer and
planer, then switch to the planes for finer work. Basically, I'd like
to avoid sanding while using planes in situations where it's not much
slower than setting up a machine. For example, using a jointer plane
to edge-joint two boards. I'm also liking the veritas shoulder planes.

For the specialty planes, I see lee valley has a router plane that
looks nice. I'd like to find a good (and probably expensive)
combination plane. I can see cutting grooves in rails shaker style
rails and styles with this rather than setting up the router. Maybe a
plough plane. Something for making dados, or even sliding dovetails.
A bunch of planes for making details like beads and coves, although the
combination could probably do this. Then roy was demonstrating a
matched set of tongue and groove planes. Anyway, where do I get this
stuff? Who still makes them?

brian

It sounds like you have the woodworking bug bad, congratulations! My
suggesstion is to slow way down and invest in wood instead of tools. Pick
projects to work on instead of drooling over the tool porn catalogs. With
each project you will develop new skills and interests. Let the projects
lead you to the correct tools to purchase.