Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default Gasoline Storage

Bob wrote:
Back in the 70s during the energy crisis, I had a locked 165 gal. tank near
the house. There was a lot of loss from evaporation, so I got another tank,
filled them both 3/4 full and put 2" iron pipe plugs in them. They made
noise when they expanded and contracted, but by leaving enough room, there
was no danger. If a local company won't deliver a tank and fill it, then buy
your own tank and bring the gas home. I took a Texaco fuel and motor oil
once, and the instructor said that if a tank is clean and sealed, gas will
remain good for years. The other option would be to get a diesel generator.

"Pop" wrote in message

Right, but the simple solution based on the amount
of gas he has is to use a 55 gallon barrel. And
you are right, you want the tank sealed, not open
and giving off fumes as some suggest. If a 55 g
drum can't take the pressure changes from weather
changes (not in the sun) then it is a poor drum
indeed.