Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

Default How to stop squeaky furniture

On 31 Jan 2006 05:49:14 -0800, wrote:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...BDB&filter=bed

(Wow! I don't think that will work. They can be found at the Rockler
site and are called "Heavy Duty Wrought Steel Bed Rail Fasteners")

Round here they're called "flimsy pieces of junk" and I'm not surprised
they squeak.

They're a bad design. They have no mechanism to pull the joint tight and
they rely on the taper of the hook's face and the weight of the bed to
do it. This might work reasonably well when new, but wear in the joint
will wear the hook's face to match the eye. There's now no taper, so
weight no longer gives a clamping force - and you get squeaking.

Leave them as they are, but add something else too. A barrel bolt in the
bed rails and a bolt in through the headboard leg will pull the joint
together nice and tight when you do it up. The weight is still taken by
the old hook, but there's no longer any movement and thus squeaking.
This is just standard hardware - it might even be sold as a "bed bolt"