Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al A.

Default Stainless MIG wire question...

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article ,
says...

309 is often recommended for joining SS to steel, and for joining other
dissimilar metals. It'll work well on mild steel and low alloy steel.

If I'm not mistaken, the "ER" designates TIG wire. Could the spools have
been intended for an automated TIG system?

Ned Simmons

thanks to all who replied. I do intend to just give it a try as one of
you suggested. I'm just waiting for better weather, I do all of my
welding outside generally, and it is still cold and raining/snowing or
whatever here (NE Mass).

Ned, I have no idea if this was actually TIG wire. I got the welder
from a place I used to work, it was given to me when the place closed
down, and the wire came with it. There was a spool of some more generic
copper coated steel wire (can't recall the spec right now) in the
machine, and 2 full spools and 1 partial spool of the 309 stainless
wire. I recall being told that the stainless stuff was bought for some
stainless welding done for a particular job. When that job ended, the
wire was put aside and never used again. But I have no idea who bought
them or from where, so I COULD be TIG wire.

It would probably be smartest of me to trade or sell it for something
more useful to me. I don't see myself ever going through that much MIG wire.

Al A.