Posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.crafts.metalworking
billy ray

Default Bumper-mounted trailer hitch bracket for Jeep Wrangler TJ

Richard,

I will respect that you have made all the proper calculations on your boat
and trailer weights and have for your education know the strength parameters
and limitations of the Jeep Wrangler bumper attachment system.

That being said many of the people replying to you have years or decades of
practical experience and many, myself included, have seen vehicles with
their rear bumpers twisted or pulled off by what they were towing.

Imagine, if you will, a scene we all hope will never happen where you are in
a courtroom with your spreadsheet defending your calculations and
workmanship. The county prosecutor then calls a representative from Reese,
Hidden Hitch, Valley, etc and asks them to display all the hitches they
manufacture that fit the Wrangler.

The will come in on carts, of course, as they weigh in at 20+ pounds. The
drawbars themselves are 3/4 inch steel the crossbars 1.25 or 2 inch steel
pipe or tube, and the attachment plates while only 1/4 inch thick are 4-6
inches wide and attached by 1/2 inch grade 5 or 8 bolts. He will then pick
up what is left of your bumper and twist it in his bare hands.

Are you wrong in an engineering point of view? No, but the jury is going to
send you to prison anyway because they won't understand why the industry
standard is 10x and yours wasn't.

Then you get to go home and explain, again, to your bride why her youngest
child died. All the spreadsheets in the world won't convince her it was
unforeseeable and unpreventable..

Please do not let your professional pride prevent you from installing a
hitch that is vastly in excess of your requirements. There are 6 listed on
eBay at this moment with bids of less than $30. (search term: Wrangler
hitch)

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
cantrelm writes:

... people in here have tried to educate you on this matter ...

They have educated me as to their casual opinions in conflict with
concrete
experience. Normal Usenet flux.

I'd be surprised if as you assert Georgia doesn't allow towing with rope.
But I couldn't find the relevant statute, maybe you can:

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl