Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Default Cincinnati Horozontal Mill problem

Tom Miller wrote:
I volunteer at the local science
museum,rebuilding old machinery. Mostly steam and
early diesel tractors and road rollers. We have a
pretty good shop with a selection older, but good
solid machine tools. Among them is a Cincinnati
horizontal mill No.2 M1 ( serial F5409-6) made in
1946. Another of the volunteers(No , it really
Wasn't me) pulled the gearbox selector assembly
off the side of it as the machine appeared to be
seized. It appears that it somehow selected two
different gear ratios at once. It appears also,
that the gear selection is done hydraulically by
pistons which push selector arms in response to
the position of a multi-port valve .The question
is -how do you get the selector arms in the
correct position to re-assemble it. We will
probably have to replace the "o" rings on the
pistons as that is possibly why it selected two
gears at once.
Does anyone have any experience with this or a
similar machine? Am I looking in the correct areas
and are my suppositions reasonable?

We spent 2 hours today (and a fair amount of bad
language) trying to get those selectors in the
right positions to re-assemble it.

Tom Miller

Do you have any schematics, either hydraulic or mechanical, for this
machine?

dennis
in nca