Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

Default Zanussi tumble dryer not drying

Christoph Lutz wrote:

Hi,

I have got a Zanussi condensing tumble dryer which I bought second hand.
All seems find - it turns round, it heats up and collects water in the
tank. However, it does take ages for cloths to dry - even if there is
only a half load in there. I have taken the back off and nothing obvious
springs to mind and looks fine. Now, I have put it in the shed outside,
so here is my question
- is it possible that outside is just too cold and the heating element
is not strong enough to heat the air and get it dry?

Unlikely I would have thought, and the cold external air will tend to assist
the condensation process. If you open it after 15 minutes do the clothes
seem as hot as they should be?

- do heating elements deteriorate and not get as hot as the should? (and
therefore need to be replaced)

They can fail but this mode of failure would IMO be quite unlikely unless
the current was being reduced by say a bad connection, in which case
something else (the connection) usually gets rather hot in a fairly obvious
burning plastic sort of way.

- is there something wrong with the "drainage" of the water?

Maybe. Also the airways may be clogged with fluff as may any filters in the
airways. This is usually grey lint which having been in the presence of
water vapour, will often form a stiff felt like mess.

I don't know the Zanussi - my Bosch has a metal plate heat exchanger unit
that is removable from the front - if you can find yours and remove it,
give it a good blow out in the shower - then wash with Flash (helps to
loosen the remaining crud) and wash again. That's the first bit that gets
clogged up on mine that impairs performance, other than the lint filter in
the door which is obvious.

Near the heat exchanger plate on mine is a large black foam filter pad that
is also (carefully) removable for washing.

Thanks for any advice on this one...

Christoph

HTH

Tim