Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Gasoline Storage

Back in the 70s during the energy crisis, I had a locked 165 gal. tank near
the house. There was a lot of loss from evaporation, so I got another tank,
filled them both 3/4 full and put 2" iron pipe plugs in them. They made
noise when they expanded and contracted, but by leaving enough room, there
was no danger. If a local company won't deliver a tank and fill it, then buy
your own tank and bring the gas home. I took a Texaco fuel and motor oil
once, and the instructor said that if a tank is clean and sealed, gas will
remain good for years. The other option would be to get a diesel generator.

"Pop" wrote in message
Hi,

What do you folk do for gasoline storage for your generators?

I am in far northern NY with harsh winters and occasional
multi-day power outages with frequent outages of several hours in
the winter. Worst one so far was during the Ice Storm of '98 - 5
days without power.

Here's my solution, but I don't like it:
I simply keep about 30-35 gallons of gas on hand beginning
about late November through February. They're all in proper
containers, stored outdoors, in a small open "locker" I made for
the purpose, painted red, highly visible from the road/driveway
for emergency vehicles, and clearly labelled as gasoline storage,
no smoking, all that good stuff. But that's a LOT of gas sitting
around in separate containers, some of the plastic, which I know
I should get rid of. That locker is about ten feet from the
garage and near a storage shed behind them, with a wooden gate
into the area. Theft is not a problem - very rural, motion
lites, siren, and someone is home near 24/7, etc..

I wanted a farm tank wiht a pump, but was refused; have to be a
business.
Have two cars, which hold plenty of fuel, but ... no way to get
the gas out of them. Siphoning is impossible these days.

My next generator's going to be a diesel! I know how to pump
fuel oil from my furnaces! But what about right now?

TIA,

Pop