Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

Default Finishing off a basement Step 1 ?

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:41:37 -0600, Wayne Whitney

On 2006-01-31, 46erjoe wrote:

I want to finish off the basement dividing it into 4 rooms: furnace
room, family room, bedroom, bathroom.

Bedrooms require a secondary means of egress, usually a sufficiently
large window whose sill is at most 44" above the finish floor. So
you'll probably need to install a window well for a bedroom in the
basement.

Cheers, Wayne

My Local "Code" does require a second means of EGRESS from Bedrooms..
which like Wayne notes may require you to install a window and a
window well outside... HOWEVER ...if you devide the basement up
into Furnace room, family room,Sewing room, and bathroom no window
would be required..

Mine home is like that...I just can not sell the house as a 5 bedroom
home.. my wife loves to sew so we have 2 sewing rooms downstarirs
none of which have a sewing machine...

Bob G...