Alex

Default Wall falling down?

"Frank Watson" wrote in message
On 28 Aug 2003 03:19:05 -0700, (N. Thornton) wrote:

"Alex" wrote in message

"Alex" wrote in message
Hiya,

Firstly, apologies, you'll have to bear with me, i'm a complete

novice

I've got a 3 bed semi, and upstairs the door frames are coming away

from
the
wall... I have done some minor investegation and the plaster has

cracked
and come away, as has some of the "light brown" bricks behind that

and a
very small amount of the "grey" bricks behind them. They appear to

have
just become dry and crumbly and broken up...

Can anybody tell me why this has happened and suggest any ways to

fix/stop
it happening again? I know you'll probably need to know more, so

please
just ask.

Oh also, the wall in question is about 2inches thick and the part in
question is the end of the wall that is in between 2 door frames at

the end
of the wall... the other side seems to have gone too, but i havent

pulled
it all off yet. It doesnt look like its been wet either....

So you've got 2 layers of strangely coloured bricks and 2 layers of
plaster... all in 2"????

Let's see now.. the plaster is 1/2" thick on each side of the wall.
Total plaster thickness = 1". That leaves 1" for the main substance of
the wall: 1/2" for the grey brick and 1/2" for the light brown skin of
bricks... hmmm.... sump'n ain't right..... ;-)

Not really... there's a 2 inch thick wall but at the end of the wall is the
light brick... so the 2inch bit is just the dark brick and the plaster.
--
Alex