Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Vibration Hollowing A Bowl

"William B Noble (don't reply to this address)" wrote
in message ...
I don't know - you may be a lot more skilled than I, but when turning
to a uniform but very thin thickness I can never get below about 1/2
to 1/4 inch inch on a 12 to 14 inch bowl without vibration, and if
you are using light transmission to get to 3/16 or 1/8 aprox, it is
nearly impossible (at least for me) - I have turned (small) things
less than .030, but not using conventional tools.

Seems to fall right about 3/8 thickness, doesn't it?

I've had some success with winding duct tape on the outside of the piece to
stabilize it, and burn/cut my hand many times backing a cut, but the best
has been the steady the kids bought me. Love it for almost anything I'm
turning.