Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default Particle board / plywood desktop

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm building a desktop that will have about an 8" overhang on the front
as well as an unsupported span of about 30" in the kneehole area. The
material for the desktop is 3/4" quartersawn white oak plywood. I
considered a torsion box (per Niall Barrett's Desk book) but am afraid
that the desktop will become too thick. I'm considering laminating
the 3/4" plywood to some 3/4" particleboard then banding the edges with
some 5/4 stock bicuited into the sides. But something makes me think
this is a bad idea. I fear the plywood and particleboard, while both
pretty stable, may nonetheless react a bit differently and cause me
some problems down the line.

Real problem will be keeping your pen from digging in to a plywood top. Use
a blotter.

If you want reinforcement, make it part of your design. Rabbet and drop an
inch and a half of solid 3/4 stock all around, with perhaps a couple of
fully glued lengths of three quarter longitudinally where you won't see
them.

Other, and better technique to my thinking is to laminate a 1" piece to a 1
3/4" piece of 3/4 oak stock (other piece need not be oak) to use as edging
so you can have a good 5/8 or even 3/4 radius roundover to keep from marking
your forearms.