Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

Default Stainless MIG wire question...

In article ,
says...
I have a 30 or so pound roll of stainless MIG wire,
Harris ER309L. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but
is this stuff any good for welding things that are
not stainless? Could this, for example, be used to weld
"regular" steel, non-critical stuff like angle iron, etc?

I'm not talking structrual work here, just simple general
home shop stuff. I am not likely to need to do any extesive
SS welding, so this is just taking up space. If I can use it
for more generic welding, then I likely have a lifetime supply,
maybe two.

309 is often recommended for joining SS to steel, and for joining other
dissimilar metals. It'll work well on mild steel and low alloy steel.

If I'm not mistaken, the "ER" designates TIG wire. Could the spools have
been intended for an automated TIG system?

Ned Simmons