Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Default Cincinnati Horozontal Mill problem

"Tom Miller" wrote in message
I volunteer at the local science museum,rebuilding old machinery. Mostly
steam and early diesel tractors and road rollers. We have a pretty good
shop with a selection older, but good solid machine tools. Among them is a
Cincinnati horizontal mill No.2 M1 ( serial F5409-6) made in 1946. Another
of the volunteers(No , it really Wasn't me) pulled the gearbox selector
assembly off the side of it as the machine appeared to be seized. It
appears that it somehow selected two different gear ratios at once. It
appears also, that the gear selection is done hydraulically by pistons
which push selector arms in response to

Hmmmm... I seldom use my Cincy#2 in the horizontal mode, (got a BP 'M' head
on it) but my sump is dry, and it still shifts fine... so this confuses me.
I think I'll pull mine apart (after some _serious_ research) and see what's
actually going on in there.

LLoyd