Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best method for fitting solid wood floor

Derek ^ wrote:
"JonG" wrote:

I have a solid oak floor (18mm thick, tongue & groove type) to fit, and
had intended to float it with an underlay between wood and concrete. I
was told at the weekend that it's not recommended to float this type of
floor - could someone tell me if this is true or not? And if not, what
would be recommended.

A professional laid mine secret nailed onto tanalised laths, the laths
screwed down into the concrete after being levelled up with packing
beforehand.

I laid my solid wood floor fully floating. But you need to have an
incredibly level floor and consider a DPM layer as well as underlay.
Any dips in the subfloor, and the floor 'breathes' slightly when you
walk on it.

Don't ask me how I know ;-)

P.